Shrimp, Asparagus and Penne Pasta

I was looking for a meal that I could fix without going to the grocery store and I chose this because I had all of the ingredients!  Although our dining experience was probably enhanced by the fact that I didn't have to go shopping, I really loved it.  I added about a quarter cup of red wine at the end (I know - red wine+shrimp=culinary heresy.) I recommend waiting to add the shrimp until you add the tomatoes.  It doesn't need all that cooking time, although the asparagus definitely does.  It was still crunchy, even after 10 minutes. 

4 servings
8 calculated points

Red Grenache

Ingredients

  • 1 cup uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus (about 3/4 pound)
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • ½ pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
  • ¼ cup (1 ounce) preshredded fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, onion, garlic, and shrimp; sauté for 5 minutes. Add oregano, pepper, and tomatoes; cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in cooked pasta; sprinkle with cheese.

Comments