Supper Popover

Last September, I found 2 boxes of recipe index cards at an Estate Sale.  The first one I tried was the Four-Berry Spinach Salad.  This is the second.  Both have been terrific.  I googled "Supper Popover," and found 6 versions and even one on YouTube.  Judging from the recipe card (see below), I'm thinking this one is from the 1950s or 1960s.  Gold Medal flour has been around since the 1880s!  Another clue to its age is the term "supper," which is no longer as common as "dinner."  I have to admit that I seriously altered this - I added ground-up beef nachos with jalapeno chilis (I know, weird) and a little chipotle chili powder.  I will definitely add the jalapenos and the chili powder again!  I didn't bother with the onions sprinkled on top.  The flour mixture added at the end gives it a really nice puffy topping - not really a crust.  We loved it!

6 servings
12 calculated points



Gamay, Red Blend

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • ¼ tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. parsley flakes
  • 2 c. (about 8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 c. flour
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. chopped onion

Directions

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Cook and stir ground beef in 10-inch skillet until brown. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons flour, pepper and parsley flakes. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 9×13×2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Beat eggs, milk, oil, 1 cup flour and salt with hand beater. Pour over cheese, sprinkle with onions. Bake until puffy and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately.

Comments