Arroz Con Pollo

Sounds classier than "chicken with rice," doesn't it?  
I cut up the chicken myself, just to see how hard it is.  I first cut out the backbone (look up "spatchcocking") and then was able to cut it into fairly identifiable portions. I'd give myself a B+.  Next time though, I'll just get chicken parts.

I threw in all manner of herbs, both fresh and dried - chives, oregano, coriander, cumin, marjoram, salt and pepper.  It made my kitchen smell wonderful and the mix of flavors was great.  I had a lot of leftover rice, so I'll try freezing it.

6 servings
12 calculated points

Chenin Blanc

Ingredients

  • 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 onions chopped
  • 2 carrots chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 14.5 oz. can diced green chiles
  • 3 cups long-grain rice
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 jalapeno pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Melt butter with oil in a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove to a platter.
Pour off all but about 2 Tbsp. fat from pot and add onions, carrots, green chiles, jalapeño and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, rice, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Pour in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Return chicken to pot, cover and transfer to oven.
Cook until chicken and rice are done, about 40 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve on a large platter garnished with parsley.




Comments