Rhubarb Jam

Making jam is a whole new experience for me!  It's so easy and the jam is so great that I wonder why I didn't try it before.  You don't even peel the rhubarb.  Just cut off the ends and put in a saucepan with sugar, juice and water.  It's tart, but not overwhelmingly so.  So far, I've made Kumquat Marmalade and now this.  The kumquat marmalade got chewier with time, but this seems to be staying an even, jammy consistency.  I'm not "putting up" jam, as my grandmother did with apricots - I'm only making enough for one jar, so I don't sterilize - I just wash with soap and hot water.  

I want to take advantage of whatever is in season.  We are so lucky to have such abundant produce available.  Apricots, berries, peaches, strawberries and plums coming up!

14 servings
4 calculated points


Ingredients

  • 2½ pounds fresh rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • ⅓ cup orange juice
  • ½ cup water

Directions

In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thick. It will thicken more as it cools.
Ladle into hot sterile jars, and seal with lids and rings. Store opened jars in the refrigerator.

Comments